Saturday, August 14, 2010

Rest & Lovely Simple Things

"Life hands us opportunities at every turn to get over ourselves, to get outside ourselves, to wake up from our own bad dreams and realize that really lovely things are happening all the time"
Shauna Niequist

Today was a good day. The kind of lazy quiet day that seems few and far between, and it was just what my body, heart, and soul needed. Matt and I both decided we needed a day of rest, so nothing was on the agenda for the day but relaxing with each other-and laundry, the ever present third party to every household. It was a day of sleeping in until ten, waking up to crisp cool sheets at the perfect temperature, and then deciding to stay in bed until noon just because. I took my time making coffee in my new french press, and savored the aroma and the flavor of its rich, bold flavor. We ran errands, and I picked up another good book, continued to flip pages in my current read, watched movies, completed laundry, enjoyed re-heated leftovers from dinner last night reminding me why I ordered it-cause it was just that good. It was a day spent enjoying my small family of three, having simple conversations, snuggling, and laughing.

It was the kind of slow calm rhythmic day...nice...slow...easy...that has left me breathing deeper, feeling peaceful, feeling grateful. Today allowed me the opportunity to stop, notice, and savor the lovely simple things that are happening my life.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a day like that - they are healing!

    ReplyDelete